Sustinere UK have recently completed an ESCo scheme working on behalf of Linden Homes Eastern (Galliford Try Group Plc) to design and implement a comprehensive district heating network on the St Clements Housing Scheme in Bow, East London.
The network was coupled with an on-site 1.5MW(t) energy centre housing three gas boilers, a biomass system, a wood pellet bunker and all associated control, remote monitoring and metering systems. The entire project was delivered through the fully funded, serviced, installed, managed, fuelled and maintained ESCo model.
- The requirement for a developer who could fully finance, design, install and operate an Energy Centre comprised of a biomass boiler and three gas boilers, all of which would deliver heat and hot water to 12 residential buildings, 252 domestic dwellings and four commercial sites
- The need to find a specialist developer that could provide a complete end to end service from design through to finance and installation
- This prerequisite to ensure the development sensitively addressed the Grade 2 listed status of a proportion of the buildings together with a percentage of the scheme occupied under assisted rental.
- Ensuring the needs of vulnerable residents were included across the whole contractual lifetime of the scheme and that these needs were safeguarded for the 20-year ownership period.
- An agreement with Linden Homes that Sustinere UK would take on the entire funding, installation and delivery of the Energy Centre through its ESCo facility. This saved Linden Homes the entire cost of equipping and installing The Centre also removed the necessity to install individual combi boilers in each apartment together with all associated works
- A project completed in stages initially starting with the installation of the district heating network and the fitting of subterranean pipework throughout the site. This was followed by the installation of individual heating systems into the blocks of flats and commercial units
- The construction of the on-site Energy Centre providing heating and hot water from a combination of biomass and gas boilers
- The creation of a full bore insulated pre-formed (site joined) underground pipe network running to some 1.7km
- Fitting of Heating Interface Units (HIUs) into each of the 252 apartments across the development and linked to smart metering systems. This will allow for remote management of billing and usage across the entire development
- The integration of internal risers taking 80º Hot Water into each of the 12 residential blocks and connected to the HIU’s within each of the 252 apartments
- The ability to offer a flexible approach to financing and construction of the scheme, ensuring the objectives of several stake holders were all met within the 20-year Energy Services Contract.